I am a bad mother for my son C, to my mom’s endless outrage and your occasional entertainment, but every now and then I like to shake things up and do something well.
Like birthday parties, for example.
Birthdays have always been a big production in my family, and it is one tradition I intend to bring to our new family, wherever science takes us. There will always be cake, candy, and a big piñata, “always” meaning “until he boy decides that beer is cooler”, on which day I will ship him off to costa Rica to be spoiled by his auntie well out of my sight.
So I invited all of our neighbourhood friends and all of C’s daycare friends, and I got ready to throw a Costa Rica style party here in Pasadena.
But $15 for a piñata? Not in this lifetime!
So what does a desperate mom do? Get a box of beer.
How to make your very own monster piñata in 5 easy steps:
1. Drink a box of beer. We went for Mexican.
2. Cover the box completely with crepe paper. I went for green for my monster theme.
3. Get a friend to help cut 2-inch strips of crepe paper, and then to cut a bazillion notches along those stripes. Glue said stripes to the front of the box, from the bottom up, overlapping them just enough to cover the tops. Insist that “the front is enough” when your friend offers to keep cutting strips – you will need her help with the bug eye headbands*, and the front is indeed enough. After all, you WANT it to look homemade to get the kudos!
4. Add eyes and a mouth (sharpie on poster cardboard), and some accessories: I made ears from a paper plate and antennae from wire.
5. Display prominently and take all compliments graciously.
Need I say that my little green monster piñata was a complete hit?
Never mind that the cardboard was too hard (or the kids too young) and so it never broke properly. My friend Laura ripped the top off, and the Dane poured the candy on the kids from a second floor.
Pasadena, meet the Costa Rican Birthday party.
Let’s do it again soon!
Have YOU got any great emergency party tips? I’d love to hear them!
* Tutorial coming up in the next few days!